Move over coconut oil, the real superfood is in the house! Extra virgin olive oil is the new and emerging health trend that we should be encouraging everyone to try! With an array of health benefits associated with its consumption, along with its delicious taste, there is no wonder we are going crazy over drizzling olive oil all over everything!
Extra virgin olive oil is a key component of the Mediterranean dietary pattern and is considered the healthiest choice of olive oil. Multiple intervention trials have used extra virgin olive oil as their primary dietary fat and have seen a reduction in cardiovascular disease in both a primary and secondary setting [1-3]. So on that note, here are 5 easy ways you can incorporate more extra virgin olive oil into your diet.
Roasting your vegetables with EVOO has never been easier(or tastier). Simply drizzle the desired amount of EVOO over your vegetables and cook in the oven on 200 degrees for about an hour.
This is one of the most common ways to incorporate EVOO into your everyday diet.
2. On salads
Move over Italian dressing and say hello to this delicious olive oil and vinegar combination dressing! Simply add together EVOO, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper and viola you have a salad dressing that is not only healthy but also super delicious.
3. In cakes, pastries and pies
Extra virgin olive oil is an excellent substitute for butter in most of your beloved cakes, pastries and pies. While cakes and pastries are still not the healthiest choice for us, because after all, cake is still cake, the addition of extra virgin olive oil is certainly hands-down healthier than butter.
4. On bread
Have you ever tried olive oil on bread? If you haven’t, you are sure missing out on what is one of the most delicious before dinner snacks ever! Simply toast up some wholegrain bread (sourdough is our favourite) and once cooked to your desirability, drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil. Not only do you have a tasty 4pm snack, you also have a healthy and filling one as well!
5. Marinating your seafood and meats
EVOO is a perfect base ingredient in countless marinades for a variety of meats and seafood. While it has a superb flavour on its own, it can also help draw out companion ingredients. Next time you marinate your meat consider using EVOO as your base ingredient!
Bon Appetite’ Ladies and Gentlemen!
1. Estruch, R., Ros, E., Salas-Salvadó, J., Covas, M., Corella, D., Arós, F. et al. (2013). Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease with a Mediterranean Diet. New England Journal of Medicine, 368(14), 1279-1290.
2. de Lorgeril, M., Salen, P., Martin, J., Monjaud, I., Delaye, J., & Mamelle, N. (1999).
Mediterranean diet, traditional risk factors, and the rate of cardiovascular complications after myocardial infarction: Final report of the Lyon Diet Heart Study. Circulation, 99(6), 779-785.
3. Vincent, S., Gerber, M., Bernard, M., Defoort, C., Loundou, A., & Portugal, H. et al. (2004). The Medi-RIVAGE study (Mediterranean Diet, Cardiovascular Risks and Gene Polymorphisms): rationale, recruitment, design, dietary intervention and baseline characteristics of participants. Public Health Nutrition, 7(4),531-542.